Thursday, November 10, 2011

4 Magical Memories

One of the things that Disney is known for is making magic for its Guests every single day. Whether it be a free cupcake for a special Princess or introducing a Make a Wish family to their child's favorite character, we're always supposed to be making magic.
However, there are times when it's the other way around. Even if they don't realize it, there are some Guests out there who have made our days much more magical. It's those magical Guests who inspire us to keep going, it's those Guests we talk about years later, after we've retired.
And it's these special Guests I'm going to be talking about today. This post is dedicated to those special Guests who made my day awesome, directly or indirectly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

4. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs


Now, it probably goes without saying, but Character Attendants don't get a lot of hugs. The hugs are all for the Characters. But for some reason, on this way, that changed quite a bit.
One day, I was Attending for Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland. For whatever reason, kids tend to go the wrong way when they finish meeting him, and so I always have to get down on my knees and direct them out the exit. The little boy I was directing on this day heard me calling to him and saw me kneeling on the ground. Next thing I know, he walks over and gives me a big hug.
I almost cried. He was so sweet, then he let go and went with his parents.
Granted, this could have totally been a fluke. But for some reason, this happened twice more with two other kids - another little boy, and one little girl. Every time, I would get down on their level to direct them, and every time, I would get a big hug.

It was awesome.


3. Marriage Proposal


Also goes without saying: Marriage proposals happen a lot at Disney. Sadly, though, I only got to witness one during my time there. The proposal I got to witness was when I was Attending Mickey and Minnie during their brief stay in Tomorrowland. I was at the end of the queue, keeping an eye on things, when a man came over to talk to me. He whispered to me that when he and his girlfriend got up to the Mice, he was going to ask her to marry her - could I just let the photographer know so he could be ready? I nodded, and after he left, I spread the word to the other Attendants, the Photographer, the Characters, and our Captain. We were able to get them some Just Engaged buttons, and by the time they actually got up there, we were all so excited we almost exploded. We all watched him (very nervously) get down on one knee and pull out...bride and groom mouse ears. It took her a moment to figure out what was going on...

But then, she said yes.


2. Make-A-Wish


Make-A-Wish families come to Walt Disney World all of the time. They come and go so frequently that after a while, as sad as this is, they all blend together.
However, I remember very clearly my first one ever. I was Attending Chip and Dale, and things were Business As Usual. I then saw the Make a Wish family headed my way. I asked them if they wanted to see Chip and Dale, and they said yes. I then redirected Chip and Dale's attention to them. (Before you ask: Yes, all Make a Wish families get front of line priority...for reasons that should be obvious).
Chip and Dale were so sweet. The child in question could barely move, but they both came over and gave him as much love as they possibly could. They also gave big hugs to the parents and the sister, making things as magical as they could. Then, we all noticed something. The boy was making puckering motions with his lips. I didn't understand it, but then his mother started tearing up and said, "He's blowing them kisses." I almost lost it, but I managed to keep it together and take a bunch of pictures for them.

It was absolutely magical.


1. Name Tag Girl


This is my number one story I like telling people. I sadly cannot remember the name of the girl involved, so she will have to be Name Tag Girl. Oh well...
I was working in Town Square (where Pluto and Daisy can usually be found). I was going along and chatting with the lines, trying to make the long wait more bearable. Along the way, a little girl caught sight of my pin lanyard and asked if she could see them. Of course, I got down and showed her my pins. She was oohing and aahing over all of them. Then, she caught sight of my name tag. She went crazy over it, pointing at the name tag and looking at her mother, saying "She has a name tag! That's so cool! I want a name tag!" I then told her about the Celebration buttons - these say things like First Visit and Happy Birthday and all that. As we were right next to City Hall (Guest Relations), I told her that if she wanted one, she could go over there and ask them to write her name on a button. Her mother then took the girl to City Hall while her father held their place in line. I went off to check on the rest of the lines.
By the time I got back, they had returned. When I walked by, the girl waved excitedly at me. "Look, look!" she said, pointing at her button. "Now I have a name tag! Now I'm just like you!" Her mother then asked me if I would take a picture with her.

Of course, I said yes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You know you love the magic.

AGENT R IS OUT. PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment