Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Favorite Disney Things

Young or old, everyone has a favorite thing from Disney, be it a show or a ride or what have you. I wanted to share my favorite thing...but I could not decide which Favorite Thing to show you! I have many favorite things!

So, I'm going to list my favorite things from a few categories: Ride, Show, Parade, Fireworks, Restaurant, Store, Character Location, and Mousellaneous. *ba dum pssh*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

RIDE: Journey Into Imagination With Figment


I can hear the gasps of surprise now. Yes, I absolutely love my thrill rides. Yes, I like roller coasters and out of control elevators. But Journey Into Imagination With Figment is super special awesome. Yeah, it's slow and "for kids." But I'm a kid at heart, and I also value air conditioning. It also has one thing that those other rides do not have.

That guy.

That, my dears, is Figment. He's a purple dragon from your imagination. He loves to make mischief, but he also is very knowledgeable about the imagination. He encourages everyone to tap into theirs, by using every sense that they have and by changing their perspective. And he sings!


Follow the bouncing Figment! Then when you get off the ride, spend time in ImageWorks and have fun!

One little spark can light your fancy/your mind sees more than what your eyes see/one spark of light can make your fancy fly/there's more to sight than meets the eye! - Figment.


SHOW: Fantasmic!


I'll admit it, when I first started working for Disney, I never wanted to see this show. Whenever I would go to Disney's Hollywood Studios, I would see the long line for the show and think "...what on Earth are these people waiting for?" Then I would go on the Tower of Terror again. I finally saw it after being there for nearly five months when my mother came for a visit.
I finally figured out why people wait an hour for this thing. It is the best...


Bloody...


Show...


EVER.


Every major animated character from every major Disney animated feature is in this show in some way, whether through projection or actually up on the stage. Meg, Mushu, Rafiki, Maleficent, the Wicked Queen, Scar, Pocahontas...they're all there. The music is incredible, the message uplifting. And the effects will blow you away...sometimes quite literally.

So, when you see that big long line for Fantasmic!, just know...it is worth it.


PARADE: Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party


The only parade that actually takes place 3 times a day, you can find this one in the Magic Kingdom in the street in front of the castle. MiSiCi (my-sigh-kai) is a chance for you to dance with your favorite characters to some of the best music from your (or your parents) teenage years.


There are stiltwalkers. There's confetti and streamers. Mickey will generally blow you a kiss if you're by yourself (true story). Conga lines and shaking your tail feathers ensues. It's positively mad, and yet it's one of the most fun things you could ever do at Disney World. And everyone from the Big Cheese himself down to the Incredibles show up to celebrate. Keep your eyes peeled though - there may be a few surprises if you think outside the box!




FIREWORKS: Wishes Nighttime Spectacular


Starlight, star bright...first star I see tonight...I wish I may, I wish I might...have the wish I wish tonight...we'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do...and all our wishes...will come true...


God, I'm tearing up just typing the lyrics. As soon as the voice started singing them in my head...well, you get the picture.
Wishes is the fireworks show that takes place nightly at Magic Kingdom. It's about 12 minutes long, and it's about...well, wishes. About the good things that can come from them, and also the bad - as the villains get a chance to show what their wishes would look like. Needless to say, though, good triumphs in the end, and you're left a happy, crying mess as you sing along with that beautiful little voice.



Oh, wishes...wishes...
*blows nose*


RESTAURANT: Yakitori House


Yakitori House is the quick-service restaurant in the Japan pavilion in Epcot. This is where I had my first taste of teriyaki when I was little. I've loved it ever since.


It doesn't have a huge menu, but it has enough to make you happy. It's a very peaceful place, even when it's very crowded. You're of course welcome to sit at a table inside, but there's a wonderful garden outside where you can sit as well - with lanterns and waterfalls and beautiful plants.


It's a nice place to just sit and relax while you eat. No rush, no worry, just enjoy your steaming, delicious bowl of teriyaki and rice.


STORE: Mitsukoshi Merchandise Store


And once you're done eating, you can walk right across the way to Mitsukoshi, the coolest, nerdiest, most Japanophilic store EVER. There are all kinds of anime merchandise, recipe books, language guides, kimono, shoes, food...this store basically has everything you could ever want for making your home as Japanese as possible.



Sprinkles, we need to go shopping here when we get down there!


CHARACTER LOCATION: Phineas and Ferb's Play and Greet


Oh, come on - were you expecting me to pick a different one?


At Disney's Hollywood Studios, you can actually meet Phineas and Ferb - and they are absolutely adorable. You can't get a hug from Phineas or Ferb and still have a bad day. All the while, you can marvel at the meet and greet area - items from the show, such as the Floating Baby Head and Ducky Momo, make appearances. The music that plays the entire day, even when they aren't out? It's a radio station that plays nothing but Phineas and Ferb music - with characters from the show calling in and making requests. Three guesses what song Buford asks for. And that's not even the best part.
Does anyone remember the episode Lights, Candace, Action!? (If you don't: Phineas and Ferb directed a movie starring Candace - The Curse of the Princess Monster.)


In this episode, we meet acclaimed film producer, Cletus Filmore, who is running the production. Well, guess what? He's in Florida now!


(The guy in the yellow jacket)
He puts the "play" in "play and greet." He encourages us to dance, he leads call and response songs. ("AGLET!") He basically makes the 45+ minutes you're waiting in line much more fun. It's awesome.


MOUSELLANEOUS: The Magic of Disney Animation


Some of you may be calling CHEAT, since part of this is a show. But the show isn't the whole thing. In fact, it's just an appetizer. There is so much more to be done here.
First, let's talk about the show: Drawn to Animation.


You, the humble Guest, are taken on a journey through the process of creating a character - in this case, Mushu from Mulan. It's hilarious and nonsensical, it's educational and entertaining. Please don't be alarmed when Mushu shatters the fourth wall - that's just what he does. Oh, and air conditioning! Don't forget air conditioning.

After the show, you go out into the interactive area.


There are meet and greets with characters here. There's a quiz which tells you which Disney character you are (I'm Cinderella, apparently...). There are some booths where you can put your own voice in an animated cartoon.

And then...the Holy Grail...The Animation Academy.


This, my dears, is where you get to learn how to draw a Disney character. The class is 20 minutes long, and there are a whole range of characters you could learn to draw. I personally got to draw Ray the Firefly when I took it, but I've seen everyone from Mickey and Buzz Lightyear to Tigger and Rapunzel. So you never know who you'll be drawing. Sometimes, the artist won't tell you - you have to guess! Just be patient with yourself - most people there aren't professional artists, and yet you'll still walk away with a drawing you can be proud of.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And those are my favorite things from Walt Disney World! Hurray!

AGENT R IS OUT. PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment