Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Revisiting the Canon

Both to prepare myself for my inevitable return to Disney and to soothe the hole in my heart, I have been rewatching all of the Disney and Pixar films that I own, from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves to Tangled. Sadly, some of my films seem to have gone missing...I am no longer in possession of several of them. But I have enough to keep me going for now. And I got to relive some of my all time favorite moments!

Mulan
TAKE IT, CRI-KEE! Seriously, how can you not love the manliest film ever made?

Fantasia
Aka. Disney on Acid. It really shows the skill of the animators and musicians...and is just breathtaking.

Lady and the Tramp
Peg. Just...Peg.

Oliver and Company
Why should I worry? SING IT, DODGER!

However, several of my favorite films from my childhood are...well...not my favorites anymore. More than once while I was watching the Canon, I felt myself thinking "Did I really like this?" Films in question:

Bambi
Besides the whole "shooting the mom" thing, which was bad...I honestly didn't care for Bambi this time around. The only thing that caught my attention was the whole "attempted rape" subtext of the Bambi/Ronno fighting over Faline scene. Seriously, what else do you think Ronno had in mind?

Peter Pan
I was extremely uninterested. I found all of the protagonists extremely annoying (especially Peter and Wendy) and didn't care about what happened to them. Mermaids? Bitchy. The Lost Boys? Spoiled brats. Tinker Bell? EXTREMELY bitchy.


101 Dalmatians
I never thought I'd see the day when I talked down about a dog movie. But here it is. And honestly, the only part of that whole movie that people really remember is Cruella DeVil. Truth be told, she's a great villain. But the movie was just...plain. Nothing special here.


The Jungle Book
Again, plain. Uninteresting. Mowgli needs a good spanking.


The Little Mermaid (but really, who is surprised by this one?)
I think I made my opinions about this movie clear, but just in case you forgot: I hate it. Ariel is 16 years old. She sells her soul and mutilates her body for a CHANCE with a man she saw. Problem?


Obviously, I'm not done with the Canon yet. There are some films I haven't seen in ages, and there are some films I haven't seen at all. But, it shall be done! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment