Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ohana Means Family

For those who have been living under a rock for the last decade (ish), I bring your attention to the 42nd installment in the Disney Animated Canon, Lilo and Stitch.


Long story short: Stitch is the result of alien genetic experimentation. He escapes captivity and ends up in Hawaii, where he's adopted by Lilo and her older sister, Nani. (Honestly, though...the main focus of the movie is Stitch. I don't even know why Lilo is in the title.)

Anyway, Lilo and Nani are recent orphans, and Nani has suddenly been forced into being a parent for Lilo. This goes over about as well as expected, as she ends up wanting to strangle her a lot of the time. But Lilo always gets Nani back by saying their late mother's expression: "Ohana. Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind...or forgotten."

This is the underlying theme of the entire movie, and yes, eventually, Stitch learns it too:


Ok, that's all well and fine. What does this have to do with anything?

Well, my dears, I've recently been going and exploring the Disney world. Looking at jobs, talking to other CPs, watching videos. And you know what? The other CPs? They are my ohana. Every Cast Member, whether I knew them or not, is my ohana. And I miss my ohana...so, so much. Just watching Wishes (or even better, Hallowishes) on YouTube is enough to make me cry. I look at the maps of the parks, longing to go back. I watch people planning trips and swapping swifts, wanting to be a part of it all.

So, in short...

Disney is my ohana now.
Ohana means family.
Family means nobody gets left behind...or forgotten.

I'm coming back, Disney...just wait for me.

AGENT R IS OUT. PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment